1. We own the DVD, so do we still need a licence to view or show it in public?
  2. Yes. The location requires a licence regardless of who owns the audiovisual work. While you may own the actual DVD, you are only granted the right to view it in your home, not to perform it in public.
  1. We don’t charge admission. Do we still need a licence?
  2. Yes. A licence is required regardless of whether an admission fee is charged. However, the Umbrella Licence covers only those situations where admission is not charged.
  1. We’re a charity. Do we still need a licence?
  2. Yes. Under the law, it doesn’t matter if you’re a charity, government agency, or partnership. You are required to have a public performance licence to show your DVDs.
  1. How much does the Umbrella Licence cost?
  2. In most cases, the MPLC has set licence fees based on the type and size of facility. However, if the facility and/or use falls outside of these categories, we will determine a reasonably priced licence fee within your organisation’s means based on the nature and size of the audience and anticipated frequency of showings.
  1. We are not open to the general public. Do we need a licence?
  2. Yes. Any location outside of the home is considered public for copyright purposes and requires a licence.
  1. We rent out our facility to other groups. Can we be liable for copyright infringement?
  2. Yes. The facility owner can be held vicariously liable or considered a "contributory infringer".
  1. We are a school with curriculum and non- curriculum movie use. Can the Umbrella Licence cover us?
  2. Yes. MPLC has rights to licence schools and out of schools programmes.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact the MPLC at (65) 63920152 or send us an email to myinfo@mplc.com